2.14.2008

Beautiful people

Okay, I can't go any longer without posting about this.

I've been following the Compassion team's trip to Uganda for a few days now. (See "button" on my sidebar.) I've been anticipating it, as I've kept up with Shannon over at Rocks in my Dryer (as a reader). Another blog I read every now & then is Sophie's at BooMama. But since the team arrived, I've been reading about their experiences on almost all of their blogs. The pictures are incredible and their stories and words are so touching. I'm so thankful that they are sharing this with us!

(P.S. Underlined words are links. Click on them to see what I'm talking about.)

So I just can't escape it-- I'm thinking about, talking about, and dreaming about these people, these precious faces! My heart just aches because I want to be there! And because I love those kids. I get a knot in my throat and tears fill my eyes as I read every day.

Ever since I was TINY, I wanted to be a missionary. As a kid, when people would ask, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I always answered that I want to be a missionary, and my biggest dream was to go to Africa. My parents were told that I would be a missionary when I was just an infant, but they never told me until I expressed the desire. So why am I not over there?

I love my life, I wouldn't trade it! My job right now is to raise my children and be a good wife to my husband (obviously, since this is where I am!), but I wonder if I ever will get to do these things. Before we got married, Kevin told me that he would go with me if I went on medical mission trips, but it never happened. Which is my fault! I got caught up in living my little life and had distanced myself from the Lord, and now that I'm drawing nearer to God (thankyou!), I can't go. Not while my babies are so young!!

The few mission trips I did while in High School and College changed me forever... but for now, I am living vicariously through this team. And I might just find a way to sponsor a child or two, since I can't visit them or adopt one. Yes, adopt one. If you know me, you know that I want to have 5 kids, and I want to adopt. Kevin called me Angelina the other day, but that is absolutely NOT it!!! If I won the lotto, I would definitely carry out this dream. It's a good thing that I won't be winning any time soon, though, because Kevin says he wouldn't adopt OR have 5 kids! LOL

(We'll burn that bridge when we get there. Mark my words, if we come into millions, we *will* be having that conversation! haha)

I know some of you may say that these bloggers are just another "advertisement" to sponsor children. I don't care. I think it's a brilliant way to get the word out. Because it's for the children. I've always wanted to sponsor children and it's wonderful to see what sponsorship does for them. Even if sponsorship doesn't interest you, it's still very touching to see these pictures and read the stories, so if you can find the time, check them out!


4 comments:

Angoraknitter said...

You'll have time to go, you'll see that these days with the babies, and youngins go fast and before you know it, you'll be over there.

I sponored a boy from Thialand for about three years...then one day he departed from school and was no longer eligable for sponsorship... and before I knew it they assigned me a new boy from Bazil.
When I started the sponsorship it was a big commitment, now with auto drafts, and a much larger income, it's almost too unnoticable of a commitment. I hardly even think about them...which isn't very good of me.

Kimberly said...

Hi! I have actually been here two other times today! But each time I have been poised to comment, something has happened. Ah, life with my little people! :)
I really think you will have time to go on missions trips again someday, too. Maybe sooner than you think. There is a dear woman at my church who sounds a lot like you- a heart for missions ever since she was little. She and her husband and their 4 children just moved to Nicaragua! So who knows what God has in store for you! He made you with this desire in your heart. He hasn't forgotten it is there. He is just waiting for His timing. I struggle with the waiting stuff! :)
Blessings!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Oh my friend...your time for missionary work is yet to come. You have been blessed with the opportunity to change the lives of the ones you live with and love right now.

I believe that the Lord has put that desire in your heart for a purpose, His purpose. For now, don't underestimate the power of prayer. Your future is a wealth of experiences He still has waiting for you. Look at Noah and Abraham and Moses...all very old men when the Lord used them in mighty ways. Don't forget the prophetess Anna and Sarah when her dreams became reality...it is not about 'if' you are going to go to Africa or wherever else the Lord will lead you...it is about when.

For now be content to bloom where you are planted...I can't wait to read your blog one day when your kids are grown and you are in the next chapter of your life.

God is so good...Joanne

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37 (i forget which verse)

Ashleigh Baker said...

It is such a wonderful thing, I think, that Sophie and Shannon are doing. We've been praying for them for weeks. It's stirring my heart, too, about the possibility of sponsoring a little one through Compassion.

I believe the Lord has placed that desire in your heart for a reason, but it is also important to remember that the Lord has given you an ABUNDANT ministry as a mama, right where you are. All He asks is that you be a missionary every day to the ones you see each day, since this is where He has you right now. Perhaps the time will come later to do something else, but He's given both of us SO much--right in our very homes!! :) Remember, Jesus said, first to "Jerusalem [right at home!], then to Judea [a littler farther] and then to the uttermost parts of the earth!" This gives me such comfort when I feel like I need to do more. Maybe down the road, but hey, I've got a TON of places to minister without even walking outside my door, lol!

I SO want to see you again. :)