
Right now I'm getting choked up as I hear a bagpiped rendition of Amazing Grace on the news. Today is the funeral of SWAT Officer Randal Simmons. My husband is there, paying his respects, and I just want to be there, at my husband's side. I want to have my arm around him, or my hand in his. When he is hurting or going through something difficult, I don't want to be anywhere else. Every time there's a funeral, I always ask if I can come, but he says no. He goes with his partner and they ride in the black&white in the procession. I know there is something about the comraderie they develop with eachother. They go through so much together. So they polish their gear out of respect, they wash & wax their black & white police cars and put on their best uniforms-- and go pay their respects to this man, support their families, celebrate their lives and their sacrifice. They go together, because they know what it's like to be on the streets and that is a bond that is strong and supportive. I'm glad he has this. But I do wish I could stand next to him, be there for his hurt and pay my own respects to this man and offer my condolences. Though, this is absolutely NOT about me. This is about a man who gave his life in service.

So here on my little blog, I will pay my respects to a man who I didn't know, but who I am grieving the loss of. My most heartfelt sympathies and prayers go out to the family and loved ones of SWAT Officer Randal Simmons. Also for fellow SWAT Officer James Veenstra, who was shot in the incident and is currently stable & recovering from surgery. These sympathies will probably never reach them, but I know my prayers are heard, and maybe others who read this will join me in prayer.

So here on my little blog, I will pay my respects to a man who I didn't know, but who I am grieving the loss of. My most heartfelt sympathies and prayers go out to the family and loved ones of SWAT Officer Randal Simmons. Also for fellow SWAT Officer James Veenstra, who was shot in the incident and is currently stable & recovering from surgery. These sympathies will probably never reach them, but I know my prayers are heard, and maybe others who read this will join me in prayer.
On a bit of a brighter note, yesterday the injured (& now paralyzed) Officer Ripatti gave birth to a baby boy. What a blessing that is!
2 comments:
It might be good if he let you go...but I suspect you'd have to sit apart from him if he's in a salute line up of some sort?
I've been to a couple memorials, but in the army, while they usually mandate the entire post of soldiers attend, it's highly encouraged that spouses go to show support of the widow...and it's always a totally sobering experience. The widow always crys when they sound the roll call and they call out the deceased soldiers name three times...and then they play taps...it chokes me up just writing about it. We have to share our tears, and they should not be bottled up. I never met or knew any of these men whose memorials I attended...but I know it means the world to the families they leave behind, when we stand by them.
Yah, I think I'll start going. He's never said that I *can't* go, but just that I can't go with him. It makes sense, because he is in the processional, and drives the police car with his partner, and they all stand together at attention. (Two officers passed out, maybe from locking their knees for so long?) But these funerals are an ALL day affair, so there's no way the kids would have lasted. I definitely would have been nowhere near my husband. There were 10,000 officers there. The processional (cars/motors) was MILES long. The entire memorial service and burial was covered live by many SD,OC&LA news channels (it was the largest funeral in LA history, similar to that of a president!) They, too, give fallen officers a traditional military funeral. They do the color guard, (oh my gosh, they gave the flag to his 15 year old son! it broke my heart! and the cross from casket to widow, & rose from casket to daughter.) They don't call out the name 3 times (that I noticed), but they do a rifle salute (firing rifles 3 times). And a rider-less horse. And (the worst!) the air ships (helicopters) fly over in a lost man formation, where 3-4 fly together & then one flies off by itself and the other continue. That kills me! They end with an "end-of-watch broadcast" over all police radios and they play it over the speakers at the burial. That part is probably my worst. I cry every time I think of it. The dispatcher broadcasts end of watch, his name, and the date & time he died. I think that's how it goes. Anyways, you are so right. I need to listen to my little breaking heart and go stand behind that family, even amongst 10,000 others. Since Kevin's been a police officer, there have been 3 (or 4?) LAPD funerals, and every time I sit home wanting nothing more than to be there. Next time I will. (And hopefully that's not for a very, very, very long time.) Wouldn't it be great if it could be NEVER?
Post a Comment