
G Diapers ... have you tried them? What do you think?
Today was my first day, and... well I love them... but personally, I think "real" cloth diapers are easier, and way cheaper! But, they are easy to put on, comfy (I think), and totally effective. I was impressed that they got soaked, but never leaked.
I was a little shocked to see that gel-like material in the liner (when saturated), though. It doesn't seem 'natural' and I've always wondered what it is and how healthy it is to have against the skin... I just read that it's called Polyacrylate gel... I think I'll look into it a little more.
The thing I like most about these diapers, though, is that they appeal to people who are turned-off by the idea of cloth diapering. They have become quite "trendy", as has "going green", and I don't think that they have the negative stigma that "cloth diapering" seems to have with some people. But they're earth-friendly! Check out this video of these vs. disposables breaking down.
I have two friends who told me cloth is too "hard" or "messy", both who use (or plan on using) these. Cloth is *way* less labor intensive in my opinion, (unless you use pockets.) I just think I'm a cloth diaperer at heart. But these are nice; good for outings and vacations. And despite the extra steps, they are a bit "cleaner" when you have poopy messes. A bit. I'm still new at them, though, so I'll keep you posted- maybe when I get the routine down it'll even the score a bit!
BTW, I love the swizzle stick! (And aren't they cute!?!) Oh, and this is HUGE for me... they're NOT BULKY!! That is my biggest bonus, because I like to dress my boys in jeans and shorts and, well, cloth-butts just don't fit! But gdiaper butts do. So I think I'll add them to the rotation, but my newborn will mostly be in cloth because it'll be way too much of a pain with that breastfed-poop! Cloth is SO easy with newborns!!
2 comments:
I've never tried G diapers, but I saw them at a store in Portland and thought about getting them for while we were up there...then decided the bio degradable sposies were cheaper and got those...cause I had no idea where to get refills in the desert. I've got another friend who uses them too and she likes them as well.
Oooh, I've never heard of biodegradable disposables!! Do you know the brand name? I've used the 7th generation unbleached, but they still supposedly take 500 years to break-down. I'm going to experiment with stuffing these g-diapers with different cloth liners & doublers. I bought tons of diaper-making fabric when I was pregnant with Austin, but then only made like 5 fitteds... now it's all in a basket in Kevin's "work-closet", which he *loves*! It's such a fun "nesting" activity!!! I've found that after only using these diapers 1 1/2 days, my toilet is already SUPER sluggish, like, on the verge of clogging... so I won't be flushing them anymore. Well, that'll make it easier than cloth, I guess, but then it goes to a landfill. At least it goes back to the earth in 30 days though, instead of half a millenium! I've let sposies infiltrate my home because I lost sight of that! I also ruined ((RUINED!!)) almost ALL of my new beautiful large fitteds... left them in the washer when we went on vacation. They've been bleached and sunned and everything I can think of, but they still have the black specks of mildew stains. They smell fresh, but I've bagged them up, afraid to use them. Do you think they're safe? I've considered dying them & using them. Just placed a few orders, but I can't find my fave (Under the Nile fitteds)! I'm going to try the one you posted, as well as the Bamboozle fitted. Things sure have changed since I last shopped! Sorry for rambling... I'm so excited for you and your newest addition! How are you feeling? Kevin says congratulations too!
Post a Comment