12.23.2008

Cause & Effect



So remember how I mentioned that my thirteen month old is loving to climb on things lately. Namely, things with wheels. And how it's really not abnormal for his age, but that for me, it is.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when he took a tumble and actually hurt himself. (For those of you who don't know, Austin is a tough kid, and even if his fingers are closed in a door, he'll just 'suck it up'.)
But I saw this one happen in slow motion. It was my first, "does he need stitches?" moment. I'm sure it won't be my last, being I'm a mommy of boys!
He was on Jake's tricycle in the living room. Luckily he was sitting and not doing this:
And the trike tipped over, landing his face right on the unfortunately placed glass door to the entertainment center. (Oh! I wish I had put away the DVDs and closed that door when I had realized Jake got into them an hour prior!) And how I wish I would have realized that the foam corner protector on the glass had slipped a few centimeters, completely exposing the glass corner! My heart stopped for a moment as I instinctively jumped up and ran to him, it looked like his eye hit the corner of that glass!
So I can hear the voices of my more seasoned mommas telling me it's okay, it's no big deal, its nothing-- we'll have many more times like this in the years ahead. But this was my first!
I knew it wasn't a big deal even as I fumbled into our room to wake Kevin, saying, "Look, honey! He has a gash! Look, it's gaping!" I knew we didn't need to go to the ER, even as my heart was racing and I asked uncertainly, "Does he need stitches? Does he need a tetanus shot?" And I almost laughed aloud at myself when I thought, "Is this gonna scar?!?"
I'm a nurse, but only one or two days a week. All the other days, I'm mom. All that nurse stuff goes out of my brain, and I get that crazy mommy-adrenaline and uncertainty. Luckily I came to my senses and was able to render proper first aid to my poor little 'un. Even now, I'm thinking, "could it have been a little deeper than I thought? Did I look close enough? He was wiggling so much, how deep was it really? I didn't see a bottom to it... Should I go look?" CRAZINESS!
Now, don't laugh--- here's the "gash". It's not much of a gash, I'll give you that, but it was gaping a bit. Quite a slice. Now it's all cleaned up, dressed, & a bit swollen, but Austin doesn't even know it's there.
A safe distraction (as long as the lid stays on) ... yumm, Hydrocortisone.


In the background you can see the plastic bag I found under the sink with my first aid supplies... very fancy & organized! As I rummaged through the bag I was shouting into the bedroom, "What the heck, I'm a nurse and I don't even have any sterile gauze!" To which Kevin replied, "Just use soap and water!" What? Are you kidding!?!? No way!!! heehee Not when I have all this cool medical stuff I can use!!! Okay, so I guess I am still a nurse when I'm off-duty.

I ended up reinforcing the top steri-strip with a longer one that extends behind his ear- to put a little traction on the skin and pull it together. Sometimes I think steri-strips are better than stitches. If only I had some Tincture of Benzoin. Or even better, Dermabond!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Poor little guy! And poor momma! I don't care how many times boo-boos like that happen...any time your little ones get hurt like that, it is frightening! I am so glad he is okay!

I hope you had a wonderfully merry and boo-boo free Christmas!
Love,
K

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

He is adorable...ohhhh those booboos just attach themselves to little boys don't they?

candypb said...

Bang ups like that always worry me too. You can see in the pictures that it's a doosy! Best of luck on that. Happy New Year!

Angoraknitter said...

Dermabond should totally be sold over the counter! Well, at least I wish it was.
A few months ago I was totally surprised by an impulse buy, hibacleanse...I was like, "wow, I haven't seen that stuff since the ER," and I totally bought it when I saw it on the grocery store shelf.

I think your patch job looks fine, and it will scare at least a little, but will fade away some with time. We tried mederma for Peter's cleft lip scar when the stuff first came out...but the plastic surgeon told us he was happy with the results from plain old vit E oil, which is a lot cheaper anyway. We didn't even do that for very long cause Peter never wanted me to rub anything onto his face, let alone being held down long enough to get it on there.

Shelly said...

Awe! Poor little fella.

It is so weird how the adrenalin kicks in when our children get hurt and we take over like we are strong and nothing bothers us. We are in control.

Glad he is okay. God bless all of you!