My tomato plants have a problem. Here are a few photos.
. At first I thought it was just on the leaves... BTW, this plant is growing soooo fast, but hasn't produced any fruit yet, despite a few flowers that have dropped. If it weren't for the white spots all over the leaves, I would think it was perfectly healthy!!!
Anyways, as I was taking pics today, I realized that it's worse than I thought. It's not only affecting the leaves-- it's also on the stems. (shoot!) I don't think powdery mildew is supposed to affect stems!
And at the base of the plant, it looks even worse, with a few circular dark spots.
Any diagnostics or recommendations? I want my garden to remain free of chemicals, so any home remedies would be greatly appreciated!
I'm going to try baking soda and water (1tsp:1liter), which is used in gardens for mildew. I also read that a 10-30% mixture of milk & water helps with mildew, but might hold off to judge effectiveness of the prior. I also just found this remedy, which I may try first.
But if this is not powdery mildew (podosphaera leucotricha), then I don't know what to do!
Anyways, I'll finish this post with some happier photos of the rest of the garden! I know, it's time to transplant & thin out the plants! I didn't know they would grow so fast, I have some major weeding & mulching to do in the rest of the yard to make room for these! (And hubbys help has been enlisted, as we have some ginormous plants/trees that need to be pulled.)
(Above) Cute lettuce blend, needs thinning
Sweet little green onion sprigs. P.S. they already taste delightful!
My first tomato, on my other plant. This plant seemed to have the 'powdery mildew' when I bought it, so that's why I planted it in a pot. This one isn't growing as fast as the other, but there are hardly any spots and it has producted the fruit. Maybe that's the cure. Pot it. I will most definitely be replanting that other one, though, so it doesn't spread.
My bell pepper plant, enjoyed immensely by the squirrels. Three bell peppers and numerous leaves have been munched on &/or eaten completely. Little brats!
My favorite, the beautiful green bean plants! In need of thinning soon. A few leaves have been munched by some sort of insect (pictured below). I may drop some Diatamacious Earth in the area. Still deciding. I used to use that, but that was over a year ago so I want to re-research to make sure it's safe.
My White Onion plants.
Below: A blurry little overview of my mini-veggie-garden... In the foreground you can see my wonderful lavendar flower, (LOVE Lavendar!), and my basil plant. The other photo is of the most durable plant I've ever seen! He has died and come back to life so many times! We got him in our first year of marriage in our little apartment, and named him "Squeezer" for some reason. Don't ask me, I have NO idea. There is no story or reason behind it. But I have to guess that maybe that was after a glass of wine or two, because who in their right mind names ANYthing "squeezer"?!? (Unless it's a nutcracker or something, that would fit. But if you name your kitchen utensils, then you might have other problems. The only utensils I've 'named' are the ones that I don't know the real names of. i.e.: the 'doinger' to beat eggs with, the 'clicker' to start the fires with, & the 'chopper' to chop things with... that might actually be the name of it. You know, the cool pampered chef chopper thing... love it!) So back to "Squeezer", I transplanted him to a larger pot and have been nursing him back to health. He's alive again!!
. So if anybody can help me with my tomato plant, please let me know. Any insight would be much, much appreciated!
2 comments:
Could be tomato rot. It happens when you grow tomatoes in the same spot too many years in a row. I believe you're supposed to move them to a different spot every year. Once you have it, you have to be careful when you water, not to let the water splash onto the ground and then onto the leaves. A soaker hose is the best option. Google Tomato Rot. It should have some suggestions. Your garden looks beautiful.
Vickie
ugh. what a bummer about the tomato plant. i hope you find something to help. i'm not sure what to suggest...i did resort to pouring some pee around my garden perimeter to keep a pesky bunny away. i share your love of lavender. i can't wait for mine to bloom and then to dry it. i just love summer!
Post a Comment