12.16.2007

Random- Baby Updates and Squash Recipes

Quick little baby update!

Austin's 6-week check-up was Friday... He weighs a whopping 12 pounds, 11 ounces!! (95th percentile). That's one healthy boy! (Length was 22 1/4 inches, 74th percentile.) I didn't get any real good information about reflux & colic from the pediatrician, except that his medication dosage needed to be tripled to be appropriate for his new weight. And that if the Zantac doesn't work, he could start on Reglan (NO WAY!)- and that colic usually improves at 3 months as the system matures, so their plan of action is to (passively) WAIT IT OUT. (another "no way!")


The exciting thing is that I had a really good meeting with the chiropracter! Austin has started his treatments and we've started probiotics. I'm so excited to see how this works!


I'll probably be meeting with Dr. Sears. I'm so unsure! Our pediatrician, Dr. "A", is one of my colleagues at Hoag, and we *love* him! I have watched him practice over my last 4 years working there and have been extremely impressed by his knowledge, bedside manner, and the thorough-ness of his assessment and care. I really liked how conservative he is in his practice, because he does 'catch' things that others may have missed. Being that I tend to gravitate towards the more natural, I felt that I could educate myself and choose my course of action accordingly, regardless of their usual 'plan of care'. We've been very happy there thus far.

Anyways, now that we have an issue with our little guy, I'm realizing that my own researching isn't enough. Number one, I don't have time anymore to read-up on every little thing. And number two, when I do find something (i.e.: probiotics, chiropracter), I want the doctor to actually know about it and the research supporting/negating it and the academy of pediatrics' stance on it. That's all I was asking, and all the pediatrician could tell me was to 'go with my gut'... which I thought was very impressive for a traditional ped to say, but I wanted some more info. We saw a different member of the practice b/c our ped was on vacation- I do think our guy would have had a bit more to say! But Dr. Sears is very knowledgable about (and endorses) natural health, and for him, "colic" is not the end but just the beginning of a quest to find ways to make the "hurting baby" not hurt anymore. I like that. I can't sit around another 6 weeks and watch my baby struggle without trying everything in my power to help him!


So on to happier things... Here is a cute picture of my better halves (!)






Three of my favorite guys on the planet!!! (A pic we took on a quick little beach-run we made... we just ran around on the grass and let Jake see the "choo choo" go by a few times.)




And my silly boy- his new thing (which is killing me, since I'm a picture and scrapbooking fanatic) is that he anticipates the flash (because of the few little 'warning' red-eye flashes that proceed the real one) and so ALL my photos have either closed eyes, or a face that looks sleepy. He does have bright eyes, but it's been impossible to capture them!

And my other little guy looks even chubbier than he actually is! Look at that double chin and those cheeks!!! He's a cutie. This was my attempt at one last picture of them in their brother shirts, as Austin is growing out of his quickly. Oh well!

And, last, for my recipe peeps--
I have two good ones! If you don't like squash, try these anyways! (I didn't, and have been converted!)

Spaghetti Squash -- I think oven was at 350. Cut in half, scoop out seeds, and place face-down in a baking dish with 1/4-inch of water. Bake 30 minutes, turn over and add lotsa butter and brown sugar, and bake another 30 minutes. Then scoop out the squash and eat it- SOO YUMMY!!! (P.S. it 'scoops' out like strands of spaghetti, in case you've never had it. very fun! Also good topped with butter & cheese instead, or plain butter & served with spaghetti sauce.)

Butternut Squash --{{MY FAVORITE!}} I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe, but I didn't puree it after mashing it. (To save time and and dishes... one taste and I realized it was perfect how it was). I have been eating this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And dessert! For dessert I warmed it up, drizzled it with a bit of maple syrup, and served it alongside a slice of Grandma's Pumpkin Bread with butter, mmmm!!!!

Well, I'll keep you all posted on Austin's progress with the new treatments. We're majorly splurging, but feeling very hopeful- I think this is a really good route for us and have heard so many success stories. {fingers crossed!}

No comments: