Everybody says that every pregnancy is different and that every baby is different. And I thought yah, yah. I had a great pregnancy, loved my (long) delivery with Jake, and he was a great baby.
{{P.S. I am absolutely IN LOVE with my Austin. That goes without saying. Mommyhood is amazing. Before Austin was born, I couldn't imagine having this much love for TWO, but God somehow increases our hearts capacity-- because I thought my heart was over-full, but the minute Austin was born, I had an overflowing love for him too. I LOVE MY BOYS, I LOVE motherhood- this is EXACTLY how I want to spend my life right now, being a mommy!!}}
Just had to make that clear before I discuss my last 5 weeks. So, that said-- this "babymoon" experience has been SO different from that of Jake! My poor Austin is hardly ever comfortable. He's so unpredictable, cries/fusses all the time, which has resulted in two parents who hardly get any sleep! Jake was a text-book baby- he ate every 3 hours (like clockwork, even with on-demand feeding!), and slept peacefully between feedings. He was so easy! I felt great (as do I think time around, thank goodness!), and we were OUT AND ABOUT just a few days after his birth. Outings were sooo easy to plan, because I knew after I fed him, that he would be happy for a good few hours. ..... NOT SO with Austin! We have our reflux issues and I'm now coming to terms with the idea that we probably have a touch of colic. NO! I'm thinking about changing doctors... because I love Dr Sears approach to 'colic'. Anyways- Just shy of FOUR weeks after birth, I finally took the boys out all by myself for an outing. (Not counting a short grocery trip I managed, plus a few outings we took with friends/family (aka: extra hands), because that doesn't count!)
So I had to take a "self portrait" to commemorate the event. Austin in sling, Jake sooo past his naptime because it took that long for momma (&Austin) to get everything together for our trip, and I wasn't about to abandon the plans at that point just because of a nap!
So I was feeling a bit embarrassed that at almost 4 weeks, this was my first (mommy-only) outing, but then realized that I'm being too hard on myself. (Thank you Dede!) No more comparing this time to last time! Two babies is a LOT different than one baby, *especially* when you factor in the colic/reflux. (It breaks my heart, my poor little guy!)
Despite being past his naptime, Jake RAN around the playground happily, and cried when we had to go. (I was sad to go too... it feels SOOO good to be OUT of the house! I would stay there all day if I could! No messes to clean-up. I could just sit and feed baby and watch/play-with Jake- so nice! But we had to give-in to naptime.)
Since this outing, we've done a few others. It's all about baby steps! I'm adjusting to the juggling act, now if only we could get poor little Austin squared away. (Please pray!) I'm not adjusting well to the 3-4 hours of sleep I get each night, (or the unconsolable crying!) Of course the main thing is that I want him to be better, it BREAKS MY HEART when he cries and struggles so much.
4 comments:
You know my vote is for Dr. Sears. I can't believe you're actually able to go to him...you really should...just my opinion.
I'm glad you got out, it really helps the big brother to get to go play too, but what a challenge it can be. I hope little Austin comes around soon. Is the medicine not working now? Frustrating!
I know! It's just so hard b/c our pediatrician is a colleague of mine! Plus, I have spoken with SOOO many ppl who went to Dr Sears and were disappointed. A LOT of ppl! They say they have too many patients, no time, and are very pushy with their opinions (making ppl feel guilty). But I did speak with someone who told me which of the 'sons' to choose. But I'm still afraid of severing ties with my current ped, and then being disappointed with Dr S! For now, I'm definitely going to meet with them & feel-it-out. I'm sure we'll switch eventually! They are literally RIGHT DOWN THE STREET from our house!!!! oh, yah, meds not working. just taking the edge off a bit maybe.
p.s. we thought meds were working, we had 2 days that were much better, then went backwards. it could be because the dosage was too small. 0.5cc for his 9-lb weight (at 2-wk check), and new dose is 1.5cc for his new weight. we've had an ANNOYING gliche with insurance... he was added within the 30 days but they put the wrong date, so none of hospital, doctor, chiropracter, or prescriptions are being covered-- trying to get it squared away b/c they should be. so he's out of the medication & hopefully monday we can get it fixed so i can get a new bottle! i hate insurance! love em, hate em.
I can see the hesitance then...but I agree with what you wrote in the next post...if Dr. Sears has a bit more knowledge on the research or supporting factors for alternatives at least he might be able to better answer your questions on the alternatives...which could be a gold mind even if the waiting room is over crowded and the appointment rushed a bit. If you can try them, it's worth a shot.
Uggg insurance...managed care ick! Been there...still am. And the bills, even though you know in the end they'll be covered, it's still absolutely unnerving to have them keep arriving with "pay now" in your mail box. I hope it starts to get worked out soon.
Post a Comment