9.12.2007

Jake Walked!!!
I was working & Kevin had court, so he was with Grandma yesterday and she video taped it for me... so cute!!! I loved getting all the excited calls and text messages throughout my day at work, I was telling *everybody*!!! He took his first steps a few months ago, but this was the first time that he "took off" and walked almost across the room. Woo Hoo! My baby is getting so big!!!!


Jake and his buddies! Above is Jake and his cousin Robby (4-mo) with Kevin's parents. And below is Jake and his friend, Will (8.5-mo)... {son of my friend, Julie}. Jake had so much fun playing with all of Will's cool toys! :) We need to continue socializing with other babies so we can continue to teach him about sharing! He was easy to redirect and 'teach' about sharing, but he still tried to take toys out of Wills hands a few times.

And below is a picture I took today. Jake and Kevin were cracking me up, they were having so much fun & laughing together- so cute! He loves his daddy so much!!!


Here's a little blurb about sugar... a little informational post, so please skip it if it's going to be boring for you! I do a lot of "research" on things- random stuff... since I have a blog and nothing interesting to say most of the time, I thought I'd share it once in a while in case anybody is interested.
So I have a major sweet tooth lately, but try to avoid artificial sweeteners. Sugar isn't great for our bodies, but my feeling is that if I'm going to eat it, I'd rather eat the real stuff as opposed to the chemicals. During my 'refresher' meeting today with the doula, we reviewed all the material from last years full-course. We ran across some information that made an impact on me last time I read it (1st pregnancy), when I stopped eating artificial sweeteners. Here are a few little tidbits from my reading.

Sodas- though I don't drink soda (once in a blue moon), but it's shocking- it has 12-16 tsp of sugar in it!! UGH! And diet sodas are completely OFF LIMITS because they're loaded with artificial sweeteners!

Sugar substitutes
NutraSweet (Aspartame)- converts in the body to formaldehyde & formic acid - both poisons! (a neurotoxin & class A carcinogen) For more info: http://www.icnr.com/nutrasw.html
In pregnancy the effects of aspartame can be passed directly to the fetus even in very small doses. It's one of the 'illegal' foods during pregnancy. 80% of all complaints to the FDA about foods/additives are about aspartame!

NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful are all toxins, & even present in kids medications, toothpaste, & vitamins. Oooh! Need to check those labels!

Splenda (sucralose) - it does start as a sugar molecule, but they add 3 chlorine molecules to it (see the 5-step chemical process to making splenda here), which causes it to be transformed to a different chemical all-together. There have been 6 human trials, the longest of which lasted only 3 months. I just don't trust it!

Okay, that's my health blurb for the day! P.S. I'm not that healthy! In fact, quite the opposite lately! I avoid the unnatural sugar substitutes, but eat a lot of regular sugar these days! I was sooo good during the 1st pregnancy, but this time I'm almost out of control! Eating some sort of sugar-food almost every day! It's terrible!!! My poor baby is probably bouncing off the walls in there!

P.S. Some info is from www.mercola.com as well

No comments: