~~~~~~~~~A POST ABOUT DIAPERS~~~~~~~~~ (& request for advice)
My Prolific Peer...
We have been having a problem for quite some time now... Jake pees sooooo much! When he was little he was the same way, and we tried every diaper on the market and none of them would contain it, until we switched to cloth diapers (at 3 months old). They were a lifesaver! But he's back to his old ways... During the day we change him so often that it's ridiculous, and at nighttime he gets two changes (one ~11/12 when I go to bed, and one ~3/4am) unless I want him to wake up soaked and have to change the linen/pjs too! Nighttime problems were solved when I started offering less water after 7pm and doing the "prophylactic" diaper changes. (We also use disposable at nighttime, until we find a cloth solution that works for us.)
But now we're having the same issues during the day! When we're home I can do diaper changes as often as I need (sometimes every 45 minutes, regardless of diaper type!), but when we're out, even for a quick run of errands, he almost always ends up with a sopping wet outfit (and carseat!)
Okay, so my first question... am I giving him too much water? He LOVES water, and would probably drink gallons if I let him. I can't find any guidelines on the internet for water, only for milk. He has about 24-30 ounces a day! (And he has 18-20 ounces of milk). I know, that's a lot of liquid- probably almost as much as most adults drink, right? Could he be mistaking his hunger for thirst? (I do the opposite) You should see the determination and desire he has when he reaches for his water, though! He acts like he's parched!
And my other question, about diapees. The brand that has worked for us the best (sposies) are the costco ones (used to be pampers, but they have failed us!). But as you know I'm trying to do mostly cloth. This is probably just S, who can help w/ this... any ideas??? I'm using the most plush diapers I know of (loving UTN), a doubler (Kissaluv or Thirstees), a liner, & cover (light, PUL). I don't have any wool in his size, and think it might be too hot right now (do u?), but I'm open to try anything because I really want to use my cloth!! I loved the POSO but it's leaked the most of all my covers. Any one with cloth experience have ideas of combos that work for prolific peers like mine!?
2 comments:
Peter was a mega pee boy...but Jake probably takes the cake, cause he does drink a lot of water...I don't think that's bad. He must have healthy kidneys or something...I recal Peter was a constant nurser, so perhaps the bottle is becoming the nurse replacement and he just wants to suck on something? I don't know, just trying to figure it out.
I so wish they still made the premium, 6x8x6 European pre-fold. They had an extra layer. For Peter I usually did one of those, then I used premie prefolds as liners, and then a nylon pull on cover or a bumpy wool wrap.
Our first wool cover was the unpenitrable Aristocrat. It was pretty good for night time, but after an accidental felting mishap (which made it even more waterproof) I couldn't get it on anyone bigger than a couple months old.
By that time I had a couple (old model, not made anymore) felted stacinators that worked great and were so much easier during changes.
What you need is something with a lot of cotton, and a cover that's bomb proof...double layered felted wool of some kind.
Wool works great in the summer time. You know it gets up to 115 degrees up here and I use them. I also used them while in central texas (where it's hot 100's and humid...swelters)...and the wool covers were our favorites.
I'll research it more later tonight.
I found your blog through the kniftyknitterlooms yahoo group. Sounds like your boy is doing the same thing that mine did about a year ago. He was drinking way too much, which dulled his appetite, but also caused him to pee a lot. If you cut back on the fluids, that should help. Offer him snacks instead of water/milk. Good luck.
Post a Comment