
Well, this is totally random- but it works for us! So I thought I'd share it (click to see other WFMW topics), in case someone else has problems getting their kids to brush their teeth for longer than FIVE SECONDS!
I tried making up funny little songs during teeth brushing, about brushing out the sugar bugs, about upper teeth, lower teeth, front teeth... I tried making funny faces... oh we tried everything! And my son loved it--- but he still got bored of it after a while, and after a few seconds his mouth would close & he's biting the toothbrush again. Setting a timer may work for older kids, but for me it kinda makes it seem even longer than it really is.
So I'm not exactly sure why this has worked for us, but it has. The recommended length of time to brush teeth is 2-3 minutes. And the entire "ABC" song is about 30 seconds long. The same goes for the "Happy Birthday" song.
We sing 4 songs, usually ABC's but sometimes I throw in a little Happy Birthday. He loves it and is sooo cooperative, even with his dreaded front teeth. He knows we rinse with fresh water after 2 songs (which he loves) and that we save the front for the last song, during which he tilts his head back and simply tolerates, knowing that soon he will get to SPIT {{insert gleeful 2-year-old giggle}} AAANNDD, get this: turn... off... the bathroom... light... (oh, joy of all joys!) He loves that, he does! :)
Just thought I'd share our little trick. It also helps with getting kids to wash hands adequately, since the recommended hand-washing time is 30 seconds, but most people spend less than 5.
Let me know if it works for you! :) (Or if you have any flossing tricks... I guess I should start flossing his teeth, right? And mine! Shh, don't tell... I skip that step all too often!)
P.S. Just a little reminder that my giveaway at MyLeap ends tomorrow! There's one change. I said I'd draw the winner at 12, but I'll be out of town until about 4pm, so I'll plan to draw names at 5pm PST. Good luck!
3 comments:
Thanks! Ill be definitely trying that one tonight! Awesome tip! Have a great day!
Me too... We're not just great teeth brushers, and I had no idea the proper length to brush. We'll be signing our ABC's tonight...
We sang the ABC's last night while brushing teeth. One round for the bottom teeth and one for the top. Then I just re-read your post and realized I should have doubled that! Oh bummer! However,it went pretty well, and was considerably longer than what we normally brush. The singing took his mind off of the task at hand. I'll work on lengthening it this week. Maybe throw in some other songs. :) Thanks for checking in!
Post a Comment