I bought a few new books the other day. I've never read a Beth Moore book, so decided to go pick one out.
The title is BREAKING FREE: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender
and the cover shows the silhouette of a woman walking through a field
On reviewing my new purchases, my husband holds up this book, reads the title dramatically, looks up at me and says,
"You bought a loin book!!!"
(P.S. 'loin book' is a disgusting & embarrasing term that he uses to describe a soft-cover romance novel. Even though it sounds so gross, I still laugh, & try to hush him if we're within earshot of anybody else-- and that's half the fun for him! I know, we're strange, but we still have fun!)
Anyways, I laughed & told him that I don't read those books!!! And that it's a Devotional. He just said, "Oh," and went about his business, probably feeling a bit blasphemic for calling a devotional a loin book! haha
A few months ago, do you remember when I said I was reading one of those InStyle or InTouch or People magazines... one of those ones about the movie stars and all their drama. Anyways, my husband has always called them smut. I have NO clue what smut means, but it sounds gross, and I always laugh and try to defend myself, but I've sorta given-in, and sometimes I've even call them smut magazines myself, or sometimes I call them trash! (But I love them...)
So one day my whole family was sitting around in the family room of my parent's house. Somehow it came up, & I said a sentence like, "I never used to read smut magazines, but now I do and Kevin always makes fun of me."
...THE ENTIRE ROOM GOT QUIET...
I was confused and a bit shocked (by the silence, the gaping mouths, and the shocked looks on my family's faces). I just kinda laughed and looked around trying to figure out what had just happened.
Finally my sister said quietly and incredulously, "You read smut magazines?!?"
And me, nonchalantly, "Yah, they're always in the break room at work, so I kinda got hooked."
To which she replies, even more shocked, "People bring them to WORK!?!"
"They're not lying around everywhere, but yah, just at the nurses stations and in the lounge."
She quickly exclaims, "In the NURSES STATIONS!?!"
"Yah, but they are stashed in the drawers, they're not just sitting out in the open where everyone can see them. Mostly in the break room."
Then, puzzled by my candid responses, she asks, "Do you know what a smut magazine is?"
And I say, "Yah, all those trashy magazines, I don't know what else they're called.... (looks of shock abound)... you know, about all the movie stars and their lives..."
And I felt the room change. Faces relaxed, some looked relieved, most laughed. Now I was the one looking shocked.
"WHAT IS SMUT!!??!!" I demanded
My sweet sister replies, "Megan, those are tabloids. SMUT is PORNOGRAPHY!"
Kevin got a REALLY good laugh out of this one when I came home and told him.
3 comments:
LOL, thanks for the laugh...I chuckled through the whole thing!
Haha, that cracked me up!
hee hee! :)
Post a Comment