Warning... do not continue to read if "poopy diaper" isn't a part of your every-day vocabulary!!!
Okay, so to my cloth diapering friends, I have a question!!! My little Austin, (I mean, my big Austin), has grown too fast for me to keep up with!
If you have been here since my pregnancy, you know how excited I was about preparing his fluffy stash (cloth diapers). I didn't have any newborn diapees because I didn't use cloth on Jake until he was 3 months old, thus he was already in a size small. So I spent lots of money building up my newborn stash (and TIME, sewing my handmade ones)... and he grew out of most of them within TWO weeks!!!! Some of that time he was in sposies too, for one reason or another, so I didn't even get two FULL weeks use of them. (Some had larger weight ranges, so they did fit him a bit longer, but not the wonderful Kissaluvs sz.0, which are my FAVORITE for a newborn!) I haven't mentioned this, because I didn't want anybody to give me a hard time for spending the money. I'm always saying how cloth saves money. It does, if your baby doesn't grow an inch a day like mine does! haha Anyways, it will when he slows down, and when we have another baby we'll get to use them too.
So I'm almost to my question.
But I first have to say: my boys can pretty much share diapers.
(At 19-months, and 3 months.)
Yah, that's how big he is.
LOL
(Jake 35th percentile, Austin 100th percentile. Jake is only 9 1/2 pounds heavier than his baby brother!!!)
So, here's the question. (finally!) Is it OKAY for my boys to share diapers? I don't bleach them. I've let them share a few times, but then I stopped because I wasn't sure. It just seems wrong because Jake's poop is regular, stinky, yucky poop. And Austin's is that nice, not-stinky breastfed poop. Sorry, TMI! I know they both have bacteria, but stinky poo seems so much more... dangerous... than the other. LOL "Dangerous"... spoken like a true germ-a-phobe!
In case you're curious:
Sposies.... Jake: size 4, Austin: size 3 (tight) or size 4 (loose but does the trick)
Cloth... Jake: Large & some Medium, Austin: Medium & some Large
Washing Routine: Using Charlie's Soap-- cold water wash, hot water wash, and extra cold water rinse. I use soap in one cycle for normal diapers but in two cycles if poopy. I also use disposable (Imse Vimse) liners in Jake's diapes, but sometimes they still get 'soiled' areas on them. In summertime I "sun bleach" them every once in a while, just by laying them out to dry (since I don't have a clothesline, and my attempt to make one ended with a broken rain gutter!). Kevin HATES when I do this! He makes some un-P.C. joke about a our yard looking like "______-trash"!
Okay, thanks for putting up with my TMI post! Hopefully I don't scare anybody away! LOL
4 comments:
LOL. Brothers share EVERYTHING. If not now, soon enough. IMO, it's totally fine to share their diapers. If one gets a nasty case of diarrhea or something, you might take extra precautions ('sposies or bleach?).
Besides that, if they bathe together (and they will), they're sharing germs. If they sleep together, they're sharing germs. If one member of the family gets worms, all members have to take the medicine, whether they wear diapers or not. I know this from experience. (How's that for TMI?)
My kids only wore smalls for 2 weeks, too. My smallest was 8lb 12oz. My biggest was 10.5 lb.
Megan,
I didn't use cloth, but I would think that bleach pretty much kills anything it comes in contact with...I just think of the 80's when I was a teenager, I would put bleach in the wash on purpose with my jeans to get that spotted bleached look and it would just about eat through the material! (yikes, I am dating myself, aren't I?)
Thanks for the reminder that I am one so blessed...my baby days were a joy, but I don't miss poopy diapers..AT ALL.
Hugs my friend, Joanne
Peter and Charlotte shared diapers for a brief time. But I washed their diapers together for about a year...it's all the same. Yucky poo and sweet poo all get washed and mixed together in the wash anyhow. I wouldn't be worried a bit.
And you know bleach will take out anything...but it will destroy the fibers in the diapers very rapidly, so I wouldn't advice using it unless something is really, really bad.
I spent a fair amount of change purchasing my newborn stash...but it is just that, "the newborn stash"...and I've used them on two babies, and more than likely they will be all I'll need whenever we have more kids...or I pass them along. The newborn stash you only need to buy once, but the other sizes will wear out between siblings and might need to be replaced after 1 or 2 kids.
I wouldn't worry about it at all--if you wash them together, they should be fine. My boys aren't in the same size yet, but I don't think it'll be long. Troy will be heading into the potty training era soon, so I don't plan to buy all new diapers for Merritt when Troy won't even be in them much longer. If you're worried, I'd say get a bit of tea tree oil and put a couple drops in your cold wash. That'll kill anything as well as bleach, imo. I recently bleached my diapers for the first time, but I sure didn't like doing it and I don't think it did much good on the stains. The sun is truly the best, for staining as well as killing germs!
Aaaand, I can't WAIT for tomorrow!!! :D
Post a Comment