
This is about all I have time to post these days... pictures of our little family! We had a nice Thanksgiving with our families, as I hope you did too! I'm scared to post pictures of everybody now, without first getting permission! I didn't realize how many people don't like sharing photos via internet! We thought up this blog or website idea with the primary intent to share family photos but it never really took off in that direction, so it morphed into my little thing.
Whatever! Anyways, I'm going to throw this out there JUST IN CASE... Do any of you have experience with an infant with reflux? I'm struggling here! As much as I don't want to give my 3-week-old a medication (!), he is on Zantac because he's absolutely miserable (as are we!). I've given my new baby Mylicon already and Gripe Water. I feel horrible about it, medicating my newborn! I feel horrible about a lot of things. I miss Jake, I miss being able to spend quality time with him. He spends most of the day with daddy while mommy tries to catch up on the sleep that she didn't get during the night because of Austin. (Yah right! Sleep doesn't come around here!) But today Kevin's back to work, and Jake is sleeping at Grandma's house tonight, and I miss him soooo much! I feel bad for Austin, he's so miserable and I can't help him! Like I said, I feel horrible about a lot of things. Mostly Jake. I just crave his attention and time, probably more than he craves mine! It wasn't easy for him to get used to me having my hands (more) full, and that was hard for me-- (he was a bit clingy & needy, wanting mama)-- but it's even harder seeing him become more independent and not need me as much. I guess it's a good thing, but it breaks a mommy's heart over & over! {Sorry, can you tell I'm not having a great night!} Augh! It'll be sooo much easier when Austin's little tummy issues (or whatever it is) resolves. The newborn phase is supposed to be the easiest! It was with Jake! feed, snuggle, sleep, that's it! Cloud nine, babymoon! Babies are supposed to be happy!
So about reflux, I heard a success story with the use of Chiropracter and Accupressure (magnet therapy) on an infant with reflux (& colic, though I REFUSE to label my son with colic! Not yet anyway! I feel like that would be surrendering! But this is NOT going to be our life for the next 3-5 months!!!) If you have any recommendations (for alternative treatments), please let me know! Also, if you know of a chiropracter, accupressure/puncturist, etc in my area (or yours), I'm looking for a referral.
(P.S. We're doing positioning, & have tried smaller more frequent feedings w/ freq burping, etc... all the easy stuff. Oh yes, we've even (in desperation) tried putting him to sleep in the swing & the bouncer. We need to bring out the big guns, but prefer to not medicate if we don't have to)
I just read that Slippery Elm is good and basically does the same thing that Zantac does, but I need to read more about it and make sure it's safe for newborn & check dosage. Just looking for thoughts, ideas, stories, referrals.
Well, it appears that Austin (on my lap) has finally gotten comfortable and is falling into a beautiful peaceful sleep, so I'm going to follow suit. (immediately!) Good Night to you! And I hope for us too~*
2 comments:
Oh my...I don't think any of my kids had it quite like that. I know Peter used to nurse for so long and fill up so much, that by the end of the day it was usual for him to spit up quite a bit...but he would spend so much time being held upright...He also had a tendency to spit up more when I was having engorgement and overpowering letdown reflex, so I'd just let it subside a bit and let him nurse when the fire hose trickled down a bit.
Charlotte was way more delicate, the kid didn't like very much volume at all, and has been the closest to reflux we've ever gotten...but even she just did some impressive projectile vomit maybe once every other day or so, and she was pretty happy most of the time. Felicity was such an efficient digester...
I do remember sitting with Charlotte and patting her on the back to try and shake down all the milk, and just position her upright.
That's not much help at all I know. A lactation consultant might be a good person to chat with...just make sure it's not in any way a nursing issue. I don't have any other ideas, you've not already tried.
Just (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment