Help with my shawl!
I'm posting this so I can have my mom (and anybody else) help me. I've been working on this shawl for my sister (Christine). It's my first flat piece- and though they are supposedly easier, I thought it a bit more challenging because the stitches are so loose. Almost loose enough to where it looks sloppy on the 2 edges. I wanted to follow the pattern *exactly*, so I bought the same yarn that the pattern sample was in. Though the color didn't look right... in the picture it looked like a tan-ish buttery colored shawl... but I did it anyway, thinking that the color would grow on me but it still hasn't. 
Overall, I'm disappointed in this project, but also proud of myself because it's the biggest project I've done yet! I hope my sister likes it, I think she will- she can wear a paper bag and make it look stunning!

Okay, so here's where I need your help. Dilemma: The pattern says to add fringe in the white-ish colored yarn. I didn't have enough yarn left to do very many, but I did what I could. (Two 7-inch strands {doubled} every other row). I added fringe to one end, and left it off of the other end. Here are some pictures. Should I take off the fringe, or leave it? (Is there enough? And does it look funny having fringe plain white without the colored Mohair yarn?)
Sorry the pics aren't very good. P.S. My sister is in Ireland, so I'm not spoiling it!
Thanks for your opinion!!! (Mom, you can call me or put it in my comments section-- that goes for anybody else too. I would *love* to hear your thoughts!)
Thank you so much!!
3 comments:
Wow, I think this looks great! I've never worked such a large guage project myself. I think the fringe looks fine, but agree if it's only enough for one side some change might be good. Do you have another color yarn that matches this? If so, maybe take half the white fringes and add them to the other side, then take another cordinating yarn and add it as a filler...so like one white fringe, one "other" fringe and continue till done. I think she'll love it too! Totally awesome, Great Job!
Oops, I should clarify! (sorry) I saved enough yarn to complete the other side in the same manner that this side was done. I just wanted to put fringe on *every* row instead of every-other row- but I measured it out and I wasn't going to have enough. (I also wanted to put 3 strands each and make them a bit longer, like 10-in).
how about using the same yarn you made the shawl w/ and cutting 7 inch pieces of that...then use one white strand and one colored strand every row to make the fringe? But I thing the white sets it off nicely. You could finish the other side the same way and it would look great.
Post a Comment